Re: small init.m problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84615] Re: small init.m problem
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 02:36:31 -0500 (EST)

On 1/6/08 at 6:01 AM, JLK2941 at yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote:

>Bill, I know the current working directory is the one that is
>returned by Directory[] but what significance does it have?

The current working directory is the directory that will be used
by functions such as FileNames, Put, Get etc when no directory
is specified. That is, FileNames[] lists the  files in the
current working directory, Get[filename] reads a file named
filename in the current working directory etc.

>Whatever it is, I've found that Appending my target directory to
>$Path is useless. If I want Mathematica to look for my files or
>output files to a directory I specify, I must do it using
>SetDirectory[].

Although the documentation seems to suggest the directories in
$Path will be searched when looking for any arbitrary file, I
haven't found this to be the case. I've found these directories
are searched when loading Mathematica packages. The directories
I've appended to $Path in my init.m file are directories
containing additional packages I use. For this purpose, $Path
works quite nicely.

For arbitrary file output by Mathematica, I either specify the
directory or use SetDirectory to set the current working
directory to the directory containing the file of interest.