Re: How to ParametricPlot3D a plane given Normal and Distance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84693] Re: How to ParametricPlot3D a plane given Normal and Distance
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:25:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi John,

one way to parametrize a plane uses 2 vectors parallel to the plane

(that are not parallel). You could get thouse using Cross, but it may be

easier using NullSpace. Here is an example:

normal={1,1,1}/Sqrt[3];

dist=2;

m={normal,{0,0,0},{0,0,0}};

ns=NullSpace[m];

ParametricPlot3D[dist normal+{u,v}.ns,{u,0,5},{v,0,5}]

hope this helps, Daniel