Re: Usage of **

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84737] Re: Usage of **
  • From: Hauke Reddmann <fc3a501 at uni-hamburg.de>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:10:00 -0500 (EST)

Michael Weyrauch <michael.weyrauch at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,

>   of course, you can do that.

> You can use **, which is Protected, Unprotect it and give it the properties you need, including
> things like  (x*A)**(y*B)=x*y*(A**B)).

I'm *still* a total dummy yet :-)
*How* do I teach some F[x_,y_] that it is a linear operator?
(I wouldn't be surprised if Mathematica would somewhere
have a knob Properties->Linear for F.)
Of course the tricky part with F[s*x,y]->s*F[x,y] is how
the rule knows that s is the scalar and x the generator...

Hauke Reddmann <:-EX8    fc3a501 at uni-hamburg.de
    Er-a svo gott     sem gott kveða
    öl alda sonum,     því að færra veit
    er fleira drekkur     síns til geðs gumi.