Re: question from amateur, why no demonstration for intersecting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84729] Re: question from amateur, why no demonstration for intersecting
  • From: mumat <csarami at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:05:54 -0500 (EST)

> I have begun working with mathematica 6 in order to improve my skills
> with some math concepts. I am taking the GMAT soon, and I'm trying to
> see the equations from all angles.

Nasser Jaan,

Khaili link-e Jaalebi bood!! You have done a great job.

I have taught GMAT many times! You know that you will take it on the
computer and you have only pen and scratch paper and all the graphs
questions,... everything is on the computer! There will be no TI or M6
there to help you. I know that you know this!

Here's are some facts about lines:

1. Two lines intersect only if they are not parallel, that is they
have differect slopes! To see whether they instersect, find the slope
of each first!

2. To locate the instersecting point, you must solve a system of
equation!  Using a GE method or faster you have an explicit formula! I
remember this from my high school studies in IRAN! I am sure, in the
states and many other places they teach that too ( depends on the
school here of course):

Input: Solve[{a x + b y == c, a' x + b'  y == c'}, {x, y}]

First find D=ab' -a' b! if that's not zero, then find the fractions
( substituting your D in the denomintors of each fraction for x and
y.)

Good luck on you GMAT!