Use Style for symbol with a value?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84734] Use Style for symbol with a value?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:08:27 -0500 (EST)

I have some symbols that already have values, e.g.:

    x = Sqrt[2]; f[t_]:=t^2; y = Pi;

I want to display the raw expression f[x] in a TraditionalForm and with
a Styled treatment.  Of course this is easy to do with a HoldForm, e.g.:

    Style[TraditionalForm[HoldForm[f[x]]], Large, Bold]

But I have multiple instances of this situation within a single large
expression, so I want to modularize this by defining a function to do
the formatting -- something like:

    myStyled[txt_] := Style[TraditionalForm[HoldForm[txt]], Large, Bold]

Now of course this will NOT work, since in

    myStyled[f[x]]

the expression f[x] will be evaluated first, and instead of seeing the
TraditionalForm equivalent of f[x] I'll see just the value 2.

Now that is easily remedied by using, instead:

    myStyled[HoldForm[f[x]]]

So far so good.  But I have several expressions to which I want to apply
the styling -- something like

   {myStyled[HoldForm[x]],myStyled[HoldForm[f[x]]],myStyled[HoldForm[y]]}

-- and I would like to be able to avoid wrapping each of the individual
items in HoldForm so as to reduce the length and complexity of the code
there.

Is there some way of defining myStyled and using some appropriate form
of Hold that will accomplish this.

Ultimately I'd even like to do something like

   myStyled /@ whatGoesHere[{x,f[x],y}]

where whatGoesHere holds things in the list so it all works.

(Hope I'm clear in what I'm trying to do.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305