Re: Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84842] Re: Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:58:06 -0500 (EST)

Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t wrote:
> In some cases, version 6 graphics can be painfully slow.  Consider this
> example:
>
> data = Table[{Random[], Random[]}, {100000}];
> Graphics[{PointSize[0.002], Point /@ data}, AspectRatio -> Automatic] / /
> Show
>
> This used to work fine in version 5.2, but it takes forever to complete
> in version 6.0.1.  I have a dataset with about 250 000 points that I
> would like to plot, so this problem is really annoying ...
>
> The strange thing is that as soon as the graphic appears, resizing is
> fast and works fine (especially with antialiasing disabled).  So it is
> not the /drawing/ itself that takes so long.
>
> I really hope that these problems will be fixed in 6.1, but until then,
> does anyone have a suggestion for speeding this up?
>
> (At the moment I temporarily switch back to << Version5`Graphics`)
>
> Szabolcs

This is very fast on my computer:

data = Table[{Random[], Random[]}, {100000}];
Graphics[{PointSize[0.002], Point[data]}, AspectRatio -> Automatic]

note that Point now accepts a list of coordinates and generates a point
for each of them. This is presumably there because for whatever reason
the "old" way is too slow. My speculation is that with the new graphics
engine with the old syntax they need to create a point object for each
of the 100000 points where in the old engine only a string append to the
postscript code was necessary.

hth,

albert