Re: What is the algorithm Mathematica uses to detrmine the automatic range for plotting?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84877] Re: What is the algorithm Mathematica uses to detrmine the automatic range for plotting?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:01:32 -0500 (EST)

ref (me)

"Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote in message
news:fmmkt7$f3s$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> p=Plot[...]
> FullForm[p]
>
> and I see what the full command used, and I see the plot range used, which
> in the above example is
>
>    "PlotRange -> {{0, 10}, {0., 0.0616513786100442}}"
>
> But how can one obtain information,  from FullForm in the code? Is there
> an
> API to query FullForm of expressions for subexpressions in it? Parse it?
> Search it?

I found that if I do

p[[2,4]]

I get back the PlotRange part of the fullForm for plot. I tried this on
different plots, (I am interested in Plot[] command only) and it is always
[[2,4]].

But I am not sure this is a good way to do this, as this can change. I tried
using Pattern matching, but still trying to figure that out.

Just thought to update with the above...

Nasser