Re: Converting Radians into Degrees into Mathematica 6.01

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85069] Re: Converting Radians into Degrees into Mathematica 6.01
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:42:02 -0500 (EST)

Lea Rebanks wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I trying to Convert Radians into Degrees .
> I really want the output value in unit degrees for further calculations.
>
> I have tried this with no luck
>
> Convert[0.36*Radian, Degree]
>
> UnitsWrapper[20.626480624709636*Degree]
>

> I looked on the Math Group Archive & came across various Units Package, but
> still can not get it to work.

This is because Degree is a built-in constant (a number, just like Pi
and E) in Mathematica.

In spite of this, they have included Degree in the Units package, which
IMO wasn't a very wise decision ...

This is the unfortunate consequence:

In[1]:= << Units`

In[2]:= 12.0 Degree (* Degree is a number like Pi *)
Out[2]= 0.20944

In[3]:= Convert[0.36 Radian, Degree]
Out[3]= 0.36

In[4]:= Convert[36/100 Radian, Degree]