Problems with Dynamic Updating and Java Runtime

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85067] Problems with Dynamic Updating and Java Runtime
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:41:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Lately my colleagues and I have been getting the following error when
attempting to search in the Documentation Center. "One or more dynamic
objects are taking excessively long to finish evaluating. You may either
disable further dynamic evaluations or continue waiting. Dynamic
updating can be re-enabled using the Dynamic Updating Enabled command in
the Evaluation menu." The message comes up in a pop-up window, with
buttons to Disable Dynamic Updating or Continue Waiting. If you click
the Continue Waiting button it will usually go ahead and complete the
search, but needless to say, it's annoying. It has been happening rather
frequently (but not all the time) in our offices and classrooms
(Mathematica 6.0.1, Windows XP), and I just now experienced it at home
(6.0.1, Windows Vista).

We have also been seeing an error related to Java (something about Java
Runtime failing to initialize; I don't have the exact message). This one
sometimes comes up when starting Mathematica. I have not (yet) seen this
one on my home (Vista) machine, but we see it on various XP machines on
campus. Everything seems OK if you close the message window, but again,
it is an unexplained annoyance.

Any ideas on what is causing these issues, and how to fix?

We have tried re-installing Mathematica, which did not help.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont