Re: .NEF image format in Import

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90201] Re: .NEF image format in Import
  • From: philip.ingrey at googlemail.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 05:29:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 1, 12:01 pm, Andrew Watson <andrew.b.wat... at nasa.gov> wrote:
> I am trying to import an image in raw format from a digital camera.
> The format name is .NEF , developed by Nikon.
>
> The command
>
>         test = Import["image.NEF"]
>
> works, but the image acquired is {120,160} in dimensions, rather than
> the true {2000, 3008}.
>
> I suspect it is importing a small jpeg preview, instead of the full
> image.
>
> Any ideas how to import the full image, and whether .NEF is supported?
>
> Andrew B. Watson
> Senior Scientist for Vision Research
> NASA Ames Research Center
> Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
> (650) 604-5419

Andrew,
Mathematica supports raw bitmaps (of which .nef might be a type) but
it does not explicitly state .nef as an excepted format. The way to
check is to run
test = Import["image.NEF", "RawBitmap"]
You might need to specify the size with the option  ImageSize ->
{2000, 3008}

If that doesn't work you probably need to convert it into a more
standard format such as a good quality JPEG, the software with the
camera should be able to do this.

Hope this help,
Phil