Re: Relational Operators and Random Integers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90346] Re: [mg90305] Relational Operators and Random Integers
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 07:21:29 -0400 (EDT)

You TOLD Mathematica to recompute x randomly every time it's mentioned
(look up SetDelayed or ":=") and then you mentioned it four times.

Try instead

x = RandomChoice[{1, 2, 3}];
Which[x == 1, 1, x == 2, 2, x == 3, 3]

3

3

or

x := RandomChoice[{1, 2, 3}];
Switch[x, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3]

2

In both examples, x is computed only once.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at longhorns.com