Glitch in online documentation system (a minor bug, actually?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90353] Glitch in online documentation system (a minor bug, actually?)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 05:05:42 -0400 (EDT)

If I open a single Mathematica notebook window, then open a Help window
such as a function definition or tutorial, the opened Help window does
not appear in the list of open windows at the bottom of the Mathematica
Window  menu -- I can't toggle back and forth between the two windows
using that menu.

If I then open a _second_ randomly chosen notebook (keeping the first
one open), all three windows now are listed at the bottom of the Window
menu.

And if I close the second notebook, both the first notebook and the Help
window remain listed at the bottom of the Window menu.

But if I close the Help window and re-open a new Help window, it again
doesn't show up.

MacBook, OS 10.4.11, Mathematica 6.0.3.0.

------------------

[And while we're on this topic, any one-hand keyboard way to toggle
between a notebook window and an opened Help window?]

[Or alternatively, and better, what's the easiest and most effective way
to capture individual Help windows (function definitions, tutorials,
etc) into PDF files -- preferably with some magnification?]

[The point to doing the latter is that I can then build up and annotate
my own "online" help as a PDF document; have a notebook open in
Mathematica; keep a selected page in the PDF Help document open in
Acrobat; and toggle back and forth between them instantaneously by
typing Cmd-Tab with my "keyboard hand" (which on a Mac toggles
instantly between the two most recently used applications).]