If and symbol creation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90376] If and symbol creation
  • From: Mark Fisher <particlefilter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 02:23:13 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to use an If statement to conditionally load a package and
make some assignments, but I'm running into a problem with
CompoundExpression. Here's an example:

(Needs["Calendar`"]; fun = DayOfWeek)

This creates DayOfWeek in the Global context before the effect of the
Needs statement takes effect. The same thing happens in an If
statement. BTW, DayOfWeek gets put in the Global context even in the
following:

If[True, 1, Needs["Calendar`"]; fun = DayOfWeek]

Anyway, do people do to avoid this problem?

--Mark