Re: Trouble related to "CSV"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90443] Re: Trouble related to "CSV"
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 04:56:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/8/08 at 2:26 AM, email.slim at gmail.com wrote:

>I'm trying to read in data from a text file composed of strings and
>tables of comma separated integers. Here's what I have:

>rows = cols = 45; readstr = OpenRead["teststr.txt"];

>For[r = 1, r =98 rows,
>{For[c = 1, c =98 cols, { p[[r, c]] = Read[readstr, "CSV"], l =
>Partition[p[r, c], rows], c++}], r++}],
>=2E......

>I am able to get this working on one machine with Mathematica 5.2,
>but I can't get it to work on another machine with Mathematica 5.0
>or Mathematica 6.0.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Why are you wasting your time to write a custom routine to read
in such simple data from a file using commas to separate the
values when

Import["teststr.txt","CSV"]

will do it for you? This will work in Mathematica version 4 and newer.

Yes, it is possible to write a custom routine that will read
files faster than Import will. But code using For in Mathematica
is definitely not a way to improve on Import