Re: Display[ ] renewed?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90473] Re: Display[ ] renewed?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:36:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/9/08 at 4:52 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>And all I'd like to do is stick that expr (or maybe a couple such
>expr's) into a simple Do loop, and have that Do loop **do what M's
>online documentation explicitly says a Do loop does!**, which is

>Do[expr,{i,Subscript[i, max]}] evaluates expr with the variable i
>successively taking on the values 1 through Subscript[i, max] (in
>steps of 1)

>thereby creating and displaying imax plots, not just 1.

>Does it really take "something like"

<example snipped>

>(with 11 arcane Hold commands!!!) to make Do do what it says it
>does?

No. The usage of any number of Hold commands in the expression
being evaluated repeatedly has absolutely no effect on the
operation of Do. However, those commands definitely affect the
way Mathematica evaluates the expression when called upon to do
so at each iteration. That is, nothing in the code Jens-Peer
posted is an attempt to work around a limitation of Do or
suggests Do works in some other fashion than as indicated by the documentation.