Re: Wacky Font Substitution in .eps Export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90589] Re: Wacky Font Substitution in .eps Export
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

In article <g5f61t$rds$1 at smc.vnet.net>, jfuite at phys.ualberta.ca wrote:

> At least one of the programs complained about a missing Mathematica
> font.  But why is a Mathematica font being used when I asked for
> Times?  How can I work around this?  I especially want to use brackets
> in graphics.
>
> Thanks for any advice in advance.

I've also long known that if you export graphics in which you've set
various text options to, let's say, FontFamily->"Helvetica", you will
still find constructs like an axis or tick label containing a number
-100 being exported with the "100" in Helvetica and the minus sign in a
Mathematica font -- along with lots of other symbols like plus signs,
parens, brackets, etc.  Seems annoyingly unnecessary, but that's how
it's done.

There exist some somewhat mysterious and less than perfectly documented
options centered around "PrivateFontSubstitution" and related symbols,
which can be used to modify this behavior, and which were discussed in
connection with earlier versions of M.  I was, in fact, about to post
asking if someone could post a mini-tutorial on how to get rid of the
same behavior that you're asking about -- so I hope someone will.

Also, since embedding fonts in PDF (and eps?) files at time of creation
is a standard and very useful feature in the wider world, are there some
Option settings that will (politely of course) ask M to do embed all the
necessary characters from its own custom fonts, whenever it Exports a
graphics file?  (And, of course, also whenever you extract such files
from M using "Save Selection As..." or the like.)