Re: From 3D to 2D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90637] Re: From 3D to 2D
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:34:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 15, 3:18 am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is wrong with
>
> g2D = ImportString[ExportString[g3D, "PDF"], "PDF"][[1]]
>
> ??
>
> Regards
>    Jens
>

> congruentialumina... at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hello UG:
>
> > I stumbled across another method [applicable with V6] with apparently
> > less overhead compared to the earlier provided solution. This is:
>
> > g3D = Plot3D[Sin[x*y], {x, 0, Pi}, {y, 0, Pi}]
>
> > g2D = GraphicsGrid[{List@g3D}]
>
> > g2D // Head
>
> > This method seems to leave the front-end confused. It still gives the
> > rotate cursor and indeed lets you rotate the graphic, but it
> > apparently cannot be resized.
>
> > So maybe this method is problematic, but it did allow me to combine
> > the 2D version with some 2D primitives for annotation [which was my
> > original goal].
>
> > HTH.
>
> > Regards..RogerW
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
----=AD-------------------
> > On Dec 11 2007, 4:10 am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-
> > leipzig.de> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> in older Mathematica versions the simple
> >> call of Graphics[your3dGraphicsObject]
> >> would generate the2dversion. This
> >> usefull feature is gone with version 6
> >> but you cann still export the3dgraphics to
> >> a2dvector format and obtain the same effect, i.e.
>
> >> gg = Plot3D[Sin[x*y], {x, 0, Pi}, {y, 0, Pi}]
>
> >> test = ImportString[ExportString[gg, "PDF"], "PDF"]
>
> >> and test is the2dgraphics you want.
>
> >> Regards
> >>    Jens- Hide quoted text -

It worked for me. But it was much slower. And sometimes the PDF driver
hangs on the version I am using (V6.0, I think) on just Export[].

Also, I could not tell if it just pre-composed Graphics@. I could add
2D primitives after that (same as with the ImportString[ExportString]]
approach).

Regards..RogerW