Re: Collapsing cell groups [was: Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90699] Re: Collapsing cell groups [was: Mathematica
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 06:32:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 19, 10:52 am, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> To be honest, you're the first person to suggest that this is a problem, and
> it's not clear to me what simple user interface would allow you to pick the
> group level when collapsing.  So, there's no direct way to work around the
> limitation.
>
> However, it is pretty easy to redo the cell grouping for your example so that
> it's one flat group, and therefore can collapse around the Output cell.  To do
> so, select the cell group and do Cell->Grouping->Group Cells/Group Together.
> This applies a manual cell group which overrides the automatic grouping on those
> cells and flattens the cell cell group hierarchies.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfu... at wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 04:03:46 -0400 (EDT), Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> > That new-in-6 feature only seems to work with a cell at the topmost
> > level within a group.  For example, I have a notebook with the following
> > structure:
>
> > Section
> > Input cell with a Plot expression
> > Output cell from that Plot
> > Text cell
>
> > Section
>
> > Yes, if I double-click the text cell, the rest of the entire Section
> > group collapses to that text cell.
>
> > However, suppose I want to collapse everything in that section except
> > the Plot output.  I double-click the Plot output cell's bracket and the
> > Input/Output pair collapses to just the output cell.
>
> > But now how could I collapse the entire section so that just the plot
> > output cell shows?  If I double-click the output cell bracket, nothing
> > happens; if I double-click the Plot Input/Output group bracket, then of
> > course it just reopens the Plot Input cell again.
>
> > Am I missing something here?
>
> > John Fultz wrote:
>
> >> ...  There are
> >> several options for hiding the input cells, including the new ability
> >> in version
> >> 6 to collapse a cell group around a cell other than the topmost cell
> >> (double-click the cell bracket of the cell you wish to remain visible).

John is right, most of the time the default Mathematica behaviour makes sense.
After all, if you bother to create a Section heading, why would you
want to hide it?
Simply grouping the text cell together with the plot in/out cells,
will allow you to control the hiding of the text cell when you double
click the plot output cell.
However if you really insist in hiding everything except the plot
output, flattening the grouping, as John suggests, is the way to do it.