Re: export eps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90730] Re: export eps
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 2008-07-21 17:58:36 +0930, J Davis <texasAUtiger at gmail.com> said:

> When I "Save Selection As..." either PDF or EPS of a simple
>
> Plot3D[Sin[x^2+y^2],{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2}]
>
> I get PDF's that are about 700K and EPS that are almost 4 mb. These
> are huge file sizes---especially relative to how small these files
> were in v5.

Hi J,

Check out the fixpolygons package:
  <http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/7029/>
It's a package I wrote that was subsequently re-written & improved by
my co-author to fix this exact problem. Not only are the graphics huge,
they display very poorly on-screen and when printed.

The problem is that the Mathematica graphic contains every polygon used
in the mesh to generate the plot, even if they are the same colour and
next to each other. The package provides a function that literally just
merges these adjacent polygons into one. It's not exactly lightning
quick, however.

Hope this helps,
Will