Re: Threading over matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90768] Re: Threading over matrices
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 05:59:21 -0400 (EDT)

x = Table[Random[], {3}, {4}];
y = Table[Random[], {3}, {4}];
a = 0.5;

You need to get the Listable Attribute for your functions. Less is
 not Listable, so let's define our own Less that is.

SetAttributes[MyLess, Listable]
MyLess[p_, q_] := p < q
x~MyLess~y

And for the other two functions:

SetAttributes[f1, Listable]
f1[x_, y_] := If[x < y, 1/x, x - y]
x~f1~y

SetAttributes[f2, Listable]
f2[x_, y_] := Piecewise[{{1, x == a}, {x^2, x > a}}, x y^2]
x~f2~y

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net