Calculating RMSE from 2D Data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90850] Calculating RMSE from 2D Data
  • From: sle <zeroion at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 04:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

I'm using Mathematica 6 to analyze some 2D laboratory data obtained at
irregular points. My data is in the form (x,y,z), where x and y are
spatial coordinates and z is my variable of interest. I'm able to plot
the data using ListContourPlot for qualitative analysis.

However, I'm running into some difficulty trying to quantitatively
measure the variance of my data. I'd like to obtain a table of values
at regular spacings in my data set and calculate the RMSE (root mean
square error) or coefficient of variance (std. dev. / mean). Is there
a way I can get Mathematica to extract values from my contour plot or
otherwise do a 2D interpolation of my data?

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I can clarify anything.