RowReduce for SparseArray

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90948] RowReduce for SparseArray
  • From: brey_maastricht at hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

Dear reader,

Unfortunately, the Mathematica function RowReduce does not work with
sparse datatypes.
To be precise: it accepts matrices of type SparseArray as input but
the output, the reduced matrix, is always a non sparse datatype.
Because of this my computations crash because storing the matrix as a
Normal[] type just uses too much memory, whereas it could be stored
when it was a SparseArray type.

Now I was wondering; does someone have an efficient RowReduce method
in Mathematica which is capable of returning SparseArrays, and also is
able to use arithmetic modulo p ( RowReduce[M, Modulo->p] ) ??

Kind regards,
Brey
The Netherlands