Re: SetOptions[TableForm] doesn't seem to work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89269] Re: SetOptions[TableForm] doesn't seem to work?
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 03:58:48 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:
> I'm puzzled as to why
>
>    SetOptions[TableForm,TableSpacing->{1,5}]
>
> doesn't seem to have the desired effect on tables created in subsequent
> cells using
>
>    TableForm[Table[ --- ]]
>
> even though Options[TableForm] shows the TableSpacing as having been
> increased, and even though copying and pasting the TableSpacing->{1,5}
> string into the appropriate place in these subsequent TableForm[] cells
> produces the desired result.

SetOptions doesn't seem to be working for TableForm at all. In addition
to your example, I tried

SetOptions[TableForm,TableDirections->Row]

to no effect, though putting TableDirections->Row into a TableForm[]
does work.

I have gone over completely to Grid since v.6, though, and probably
haven't used TableForm in more than a year. Grid is much more flexible
than TableForm, and I haven't found any need for TableForm now that Grid
is available.

My only complaint about Grid is the lack of something analogous to
TableHeadings. Of course I can Join tables to make my own row or column
labels, but it would be nice (especially for my students, who find
joining tables together a bit of a pain) if Grid itself had optional
RowLabels and ColumnLabels. Still, it has been worth it to switch over
to Grid, and I don't even tell my students about TableForm anymore.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont