Import Images and Displaying

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89316] Import Images and Displaying
  • From: N K <nk200810 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 00:44:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,
I have an image called img.gif . I would like to read in this image using Mathematica.
After that, I would like to display this image on the screen (as a separate pop-up). The size of this should be determined by the size of my screen.

I have done the following:

nb = NotebookCreate[
      WindowSize -> {screenWidth, screenHeight},
      WindowMargins -> {{0, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}}
      ];
NotebookWrite[nb, "ReadList[\"file.txt\"]"];
SelectionMove[nb, All, CellContents];
SelectionEvaluate[nb];

file.txt contains:
bl = Import["img.gif"];
Show[bl, ImageSize->{screenWidth, screenHeight}];

This works, however, in my original image there is no white background around the img.gif. Importing it in Mathematica adds a thick layer of the white around the original image. This makes my img.gif much smaller than what it is in reality.

Any suggestions on this would be very helpful.

Thanks very much,