Why don't my plots appear? My 5.2 code no longer works correctly in 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89326] Why don't my plots appear? My 5.2 code no longer works correctly in 6.0
  • From: "Charlie Brummitt" <cbrummitt at wisc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:44:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
I am running into difficulties with Plot. Some code of mine that worked in
5.2 no longer works correctly in 6.0.2.0. Specifically, no plots appear
whenever Plot (or Plot3D or DensityPlot or ListPlot) is called within a
function that I have defined.

Here is a closely related question: What does the red semicolon ";" mean at
the end of "Plot[ ... ];"? Why is it red? In 5.2, placing a semicolon at the
end of Plot[] allowed me to output a plot in the middle of a computation,
without halting the computation. Now I can no longer seem to output a plot
in the middle of a long computation. (I only see the output of Print[]
commands.) I must be able to see these plots during long computations, like
I was able to in 5.2.

What's wrong? Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Charlie