Re: Integral Questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89369] Re: Integral Questions
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:59:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/6/08 at 6:45 AM, gdennes at bigpond.com (Graeme Dennes) wrote:

>I am attempting to calculate the integrals with respect to x of the
>two functions:

<snip>

>Mathematica 6 presents solutions which seem to depend on the form of
>the function entered, and in some instances, Mathematica does not
>read the syntax correctly.

>Eg, using ((x^2 + a)/(bx)) and (x/b + a/b/x) as different (but
>correct) forms of the arcsin function yield different results!

>Taking the first function, and entering it as:

>Integral[((arcsin(a/b/x+x/b))-c)/x,x]

Either you mean Integrate (not Integral) or you need to tell us
what the function Integral does since that is not a built-in
Mathematica function.  Assuming you did mean Integrate, did you
notice that version 6 colored arcsin in the same way as a,b,c
and x were colored? That is as written, arcsine in this
expression is a variable, not a function.

<snip>

>Note the missing argument of the first arcsin.

The fact you think there is a missing argument implies what you
really wanted was

Integrate[(ArcSin[x/b + a/b/x]-c)/x, x]

which seems to be an integral version 6 cannot solve in closed form