Re: Problem inputting data into a table that is larger than a window

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89507] Re: Problem inputting data into a table that is larger than a window
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:18:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 10, 1:40 am, dh <d... at metrohm.ch> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> this behaves as expected:
>
> Table[InputField[],{i,75},{j,2}]//TableForm
>
> You should give an example of your problem.
>
> sincerely, Daniel
>
> Bob F wrote:
> > I created a table with about 75 rows and 6 columns and all cells are
> > in a 16pt Times Roman font. It is larger than the window it is being
> > displayed in. When I try and input data into the bottom rows of the
> > table Mathematica automatically scrolls the window to the top of the
> > table, and now the row I was inputting data into is no longer visible.
> > The cell that the table is in is a "Text" cell style. No matter what I
> > try, it keeps scrolling to the top of the table. Any ideas on if this
> > is a bug or a feature or what I can do to keep it from happening?
> > Thanks...
>
> > -Bob
>
> --
>
> Daniel Huber

Just open a blank notebook. Create a text cell and put a couple of
lines at the top. Then below these lines of text, in the same text
cell, insert a 75 row by 6 column table (using the menu command
Insert, Table/Matrix, New, specify 75 rows and 6 columns (draw lines
between rows, draw lines between columns, draw frame are all selected)
and then click OK. Make sure the window is shorter than the table in
case you have a really big monitor and the window fits entirely on the
screen with the entire table visible.  Then just scroll down to the
bottom row and type in anything and the first character you type the
window automatically scrolls to the top of the cell but the input
still goes to the cell you started typing in - you just cannot see it
because it is off screen. I can post the Mathematica code, but it's so
simple to show, I don't think it's needed. This is Mathematica 6.0.1.2
on Mac OS X 10.4.11 if it matters. Thanks

-Bob