Re: citing mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89681] Re: citing mathematica
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

dmharvey at math.harvard.edu wrote:

> How do I cite Mathematica 6.0 in an academic paper?
>
> I have found this page:
>
> http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/reference/general/citing.html
>
> but it only gives citations for Mathematica versions up to 5.2.

Hi David,

It is customary to cite the version number only ($VersionNumber) and the
  issue year of that version (you can check it at [1]), disregarding
release numbers ($ReleaseNumber). So, for version 6.0, you would use the
year 2007, even though you may actually use version 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2,
6.0.2.1 or 6.0.3.

An updated entry to the web page you mentioned could be:

Mathematica 6.0

     Author: Wolfram Research, Inc. Title: Mathematica Edition: Version
6.0 Publisher: Wolfram Research, Inc. Place of publication: Champaign,
Illinois Date of publication: 2007

A sample citation of this form would be:

     Wolfram Research, Inc., Mathematica, Version 6.0, Champaign, IL (2007).

Regards,
- Jean-Marc

[1] "Quick Revision History of Mathematica"
http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/quickrevisionhistory.html#603