Re: How to get plain text from a notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89732] Re: [mg89692] How to get plain text from a notebook?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 05:43:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 04:24:29 -0400 (EDT), Peter Rowat wrote:
> I formatted some output as Ccode, and it looked like plain C-code.
> I then saved the notebook as plain text, but when I went to edit it with
> vi
> the Ccode was a mess like this, in a very simple example:
>
> Format[dbfdw, CForm]
> (Format[(((-1)/$CellContext`Cm) $CellContext`gK) ($CellContext`v - \
> $CellContext`VK), CForm])
>
> The real plain-text Ccode should be something like
>
> - (gK*(v - VK)/Cm)
>
> Please excuse this beginner's problem.
>
> -- Peter Rowat

A notebook can be exported in two text modes -- plain text and input text.
Plain text attempts to export exactly what you see while input text attempts to
export something which preserves evaluation semantics.

Saving a file as plain text in 6.0 is inappropriately choosing the method which
preserves evaluation semantics in some cases.  I've fixed this for future
releases.

In the mean time, you can get what you want by selecting the output and doing
Edit->Copy As->Plain Text.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com