Boolean constraints in plot functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89963] Boolean constraints in plot functions
  • From: Cca <cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:27:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Now that we have "arbitrary plotting regions" in Mathematica 6, would it not be more natural (and easier) to allow for arbitray Boolean combinations in plot functions? (Consider RegionPlot.) For example, instead of

Plot[f[x], {x, a, b},
 RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y}, ineq]
 ]

it should be possible to simply write

Plot[f[x] && ineq, {x, a, b}]

Well, to my surprise, I just discovered that this works (even in Mathematica 5.1)! Example:

Plot[x^2 && -1 < x < 1, {x, -4, 4},
 PlotRange -> {-4, 4}]

However, it doest not work for ContourPlot:

ContourPlot[y == x^2 && -1 < x < 1, {x, -4, 4}, {y, -4, 4}]

Why not? Can anyone elaborate on this? What about other plot functions?

Carlos César de Araújo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional
http://www.gregosetroianos.mat.br
Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil