Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with Illustrator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90013] Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with Illustrator
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:44:02 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/25/08 at 6:29 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>Create a combined Plot/ListPlot in 6 using Show having some lines
>with their Thickness[] increased, some points with their PointSize[]
>increased.

>Export plot as PDF or Select either the plot itself or the complete
>cell and Save As Selection. Open saved file in Acrobat; it looks
>fine (though document size is not what I want; it's just big enough
>to enclose the plot, and I'd like letter size).

>Open same file in Illustrator CS 11.0.0 on Mac (only way I know to
>change document or artboard size of a PDF file).  Plot looks
>horrible: Line thicknesses are hugely thickened (though axes and
>frame seem OK); point sizes, oddly, seem OK; text size for tick
>labelsseems shrunken.

>Any idea what's happening here???  Seems fair to call this a bug --
>somebody's not doing right by the PDF format.  But, an Adobe bug or
>a Wolfram bug?

Well given two Adobe products treat the same file in different
ways from your description, I would say this is a problem with
Adobe rather than Wolfram. I don't have Illustrator to test this further.

But Illustrator is not the only way to change the size of a PDF
graphic on a Mac. Using the graphicx package in LaTeX you can
easily have the graphic display at any desired size after being
created by Mathematica.

Or if you prefer GUI software, there is GraphicConverter which
can open an modify a PDF file. While I have used
GraphicConverter to modify a PDF file, I have not tried to
change the size of the graphic using GraphicConverter. So, that
might not be possible with GraphicConverter.

I also don't think LaTeX and GraphicConverter are the only
alternatives to Adobe for manipulating PDF files on a Mac.