Re: Re: Re: Happy Birthday Mathematica!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90104] Re: [mg90051] Re: [mg89996] Re: Happy Birthday Mathematica!
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:34:44 -0400 (EDT)

I certianly have no objection to the existence of a printed version of
"The Mathematica Book", even if it is 11000 pages long. What is
important to me (since I definitely have no use for such a
monstrosity) is that I should not be required to subsidize other
people's preferences in this respect. I may of course be wrong, but
judging by the posts in the MathGroup, I doubt many people would wish
to pay for such a book (it certainly won't be free) if they had a
choice. In view of that,  I don't think it would be a very wise of WRI
to print a large number of copies and hope that enough buyers will
be found later. The only sensible approach would be to allow those who
want a printed copy to custom order it, and pay for the full cost of
printing, binding and sending themselves. Given that an electronic
version already exists I can see no great problems in making suitable
arrangements right away; in fact WRI could even sell license the right
to print "The Mathematica Book" on demand basis to Kinko's. This seems
to me an ideal solution to which I can't see how anyone could object.

Andrzej Kozlowski