Re: Version 6.0.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86117] Re: Version 6.0.2
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 13:56:45 -0500 (EST)

David Park wrote:
> My initial impression of Mathematica Version 6.0.2 is a disappointment.
>
> 1) There is still no easy access to the list of  'standard packages' that
> come with Mathematica. It quite difficult to find them. The 'Virtual Book'
> that was posted on this group did have a list of these packages but the WRI
> Virtual Book does not have them. (An indirect way to get links to standard
> packages is to search *Package in the Documentation Center. But this gives a
> lot of other stuff also.)
>
> 2) The worse new feature is that the palettes that come with Mathematica
> will no longer remember their position and condition. If they are not where
> you like them then each time you start up Mathematica you will either have
> to live with it or adjust them anew. With 6.0 and 6.0.1 I was able to change
> the preferences for the ColorScheme palette so it would remember its
> condition. I can no longer do this and none of the other palettes remember
> thier state either. (One improved feature is that the SpecialCharacters
> palette will now directly paste instead of select and then paste.) If you
> like to control where the palettes are stay with 6.0.1,
>
> 3) I was hoping that the Format/StyleSheet menu would put a check by the
> current style sheet in use for a notebook but this still has not been fixed.
>
> And aside from this we still don't have the ability to write Version 6 style
> documentation.

There is a subtle change in the way .csv files are imported at 6.02. It
created a temporary show stopper for one of my clients.

Put the following into a .csv file:

"hope"
1
2

At 6.01 (and earlier versions of Mathematica) the string was read in as
"hope". At 6.02 the quotes are included in the string - "\"hope\"".

I suspect this counts as a bug fix, since it is more consistent, but beware!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk