Re: how format vertex, edge labels in ShowGraph (Mathematica 6)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86150] Re: how format vertex, edge labels in ShowGraph (Mathematica 6)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:42:24 -0500 (EST)

I just figured it out.  I knew I somehow had to use Style.  But by
beginning with EdgeLabel instead of VertexNumber, I was misled into
thinking it would not work.  Here's a simple example:

   ShowGraph[Cycle[3],
     VertexLabel -> (Style[#, FontSize -> 20,
       FontColor -> Green] &) /@ {"1", "2", "3"},
     EdgeLabel -> (Style[#, FontSize -> 20, FontColor -> Red,
       FontSlant -> "Italic"] &) /@ {"a", "b", "c"}]

The documentation about the graph functions in Combinatorica (and the
rest of the package?) is really terse to the point of being nearly
nonexistent.  And it's unclear that the Pemmaraju & Skiena book
"Computational Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics and Graph Theorey
with Mathemtica", written for use with the "new" version of the
Mathematica 5.2 standard add-on package DiscreteMath`Combinatorica` is
much more adequate or completely compatible with the Mathematica 6
implementation of the package.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305