Re: Insufficient capacity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86230] Re: Insufficient capacity
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 03:00:59 -0500 (EST)

On 3/5/08 at 3:38 AM, temelt at xs4all.nl (Tugrul Temel) wrote:

>I transfer large amount of data from Excel to Mathematica v.6 and
>try to do some matrix operations. The size of the matrces are (3500,
>3500) with 10 digit numbers. However, Mathematica quits when I make
>the matrix operation.

>How can I make it possible to do the matrix operations of large
>sizes?

You have not specified what matrix operations you want to do nor
have you clearly stated what data types form the elements your
matrix. A 10 digit number could be either a 10 digit integer or
a 10 digit real. These will have significantly different memory
requirements for a given operation.

On my system, a 3500 x 5000 element array of machine precision
numbers will occupy ~125 MB. Given I have 2 GB of RAM installed,
I would expect to be able to do most matrix operations without
crashing my system provided I had enough patience to wait for
the result. Several matrix operations scale in complexity as N^2
or worse. The time to complete these operations isn't small.

Storage requirements and computation times will be significantly
worse if you are working with an array of integers since
Mathematica will attempt to return an exact result.