Re: Writing a HoldAll function that evaluates its arguments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86250] Re: Writing a HoldAll function that evaluates its arguments
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 02:25:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

you should think over your question.
The And[] function is a Kernel function
written in C++.
In C++ this behaviour is needed to prevent
the access of a pointer that is not allocated
because

if(true==a->flag) { ... }

will crash your C++ code if a is NULL and so one writes

if(a && true==a->flag) { ... }

and is save. In Mathematica are no pointers and
so one needs this not realy.

You can mimic
The behaviour of And[] with

Clear[myAndLike]
SetAttributes[myAndLike, HoldAll]

myAndLike[seq__] := Block[{tmp},
   Catch[
    If[(tmp = ReleaseHold[#]) === False, Throw[False], tmp] & /@

     Map[Hold , Unevaluated[{seq}], {1}]
                                   ]
   ]

and

myAndLike[1 == 1, 3 == 2, Print["Hi!"]; a + a + a]

will return False and Print[] nothing
while

myAndLike[1 == 1, 1 + 2 == 3, Print["Hi!"]; a + a + a]

Print "Hi!" and return

{True, True, 3 a}

Regards
   Jens

PS: Once you enter the evaluation, it is always done
until the result change no more and so it is not possible
to make a "evaluates each of its arguments exactly once"
like LIPS does.