Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86579] Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:55:38 -0500 (EST)

Nazdrovje wrote:
> It might be that it is more Java related than Mathematica related. My
> 6.0.1 installation on my office desktop usually starts with a Java
> time-out message; starting the help centre takes a huge amount of time
> and causes all fans in my machine to run at maximum speed. This
> behavior started a couple of months ago, so I guess an update in the
> Java VM machine must have caused it, since I didn't change anything in
> Mathematica (I've also heard rumours of McAFee being involved).
> Usually, a restart (or two) of Mathematica overcomes the problems. On
> my home PCs  there  doesn't seem to be a problem (either 6.01. or
> 6.02).

We have been seeing the Java timeout error a lot, on machines on campus
and at home. It started a few months ago, and the upgrade from 6.0.1 to
6.0.2 has not helped. If anything, I'm seeing the Java timeout more
frequently than before, even on two very speedy new machines where I was
rarely getting the Java error before. What happens much/most of the time
now is that when you start up Mathematica and go to execute a command,
Mathematica just hangs for a while. Eventually, after quite a long wait,
you get the first output, together with the Java timeout error.
*Usually* it's OK if you quit Mathematica and restart, or if you just
close up the error window and go on.

We have been in contact with Wolfram tech support about the problem, but
so far they have not had anything of help.

We seem to be seeing fewer timeout problems with the Documentation
Center in 6.0.2 than we were in 6.0.1, though I don't think that problem
has gone away completely. The Java error is quite aggravating.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont