Re: smallest fraction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86792] Re: [mg86771] smallest fraction
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:53:11 -0500 (EST)

  I doubt this is in the spirit of the problem, but if p and q (assumed
integers) aren't restricted to be _positive_, then taking them both to be
very large negative numbers would both fit the p/q in I requirement, and p+q
as "small" as possible.

               C.O.

On Thursday 20 March 2008 01:57:30 masmoudi wrote:
> hi
>
> suppose that we have an interval  I belong to [0,1]
>
> I want to know how to calculate a fraction p/q
> belong to I and p+q is the smallest possible

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10