Re: Problems on definit integratiion of gaussian profiles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86820] Re: Problems on definit integratiion of gaussian profiles
  • From: Bhuvanesh <lalu_bhatt at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:53:02 -0500 (EST)

Possibly I'm misunderstanding your question, but I don't see anything wrong with the result being independent of b. It basically boils down to the following, which is correct:

In[1]:= Integrate[Exp[-(x - a)^2], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Out[1]= Sqrt[Pi]

And it's ok for the results to be different, since the integrands are different. After removing the extra -a^2/c^2 (which is just a multiplicative constant), the two integrands are:

Exp[-(b - x)^2/d^2]
Exp[-(b^2 - 2*b*d*x + x^2)/d^2]

Bhuvanesh,
Wolfram Research