Re: Mathlink: How do I pass arbitrary data from Mathematica to C?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86863] Re: Mathlink: How do I pass arbitrary data from Mathematica to C?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:43:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

a) MathLink is a protocol, i.e., it *must* transmit data
b) MathLink is always buffered, i.e., you will *never*
    get the true address of a pointer in the Mathematica kernel
c) only the kernel developer know how a data structure is organized
    in the kernel, i.e., a array of integers *may* be a memory block
    of successive integers but it can be also an array of pointers
    to integers
d) for a general expression you have to build your own tree like
    structure of the Mathematica expression by setting the argument
    type to Manual

Regards
   Jens