Importing text files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86895] Importing text files
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at LibertyMutual.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:17:53 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

I'm using Mathematica v6.02 to import a large comma delimited text file (CSV
format). The file is about 700,000 records and takes 241 Mb of space
according to ByteCount. The file is a mix of real and string characters.
I've imported much smaller versions of this using the built-in support
for Excel XLS format without any difficulties.

For the larger file, the Import appears to work fine except that all of
the string elements import with quotation marks, i.e., if you look at
the full form, all of the string elements are expressed as

With the \ character intact. This is the first I've bumped into this
particular issue using Import.

Two questions: First, is there a way that I can remove the "\"
characters as part of the Import command? And second, if these
characters cannot be removed during the Import process, can someone
offer an efficient way to remove them from the imported list?

Thanks,

-Mark