Re: Problems with differentiating Piecewise functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86970] Re: Problems with differentiating Piecewise functions
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:20:39 -0500 (EST)

Although you can often get away with argumentless definitions, I think it is
always better to define functions with argument patterns.

pw1[x_] = Piecewise[{{x^2, x <= 0}, {x, x > 0}}]

Then you can get the derivative by simply writing

pw1'[x]

The derivative is undefined at x == 0 so Mathematica is correct.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/