Re: Another stylesheet question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86964] Re: Another stylesheet question
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:19:32 -0500 (EST)

Jerry schrieb:
> I went thru the stylesheet tutorial that David Park kindly
> made available. I was successful in making the new
> stylesheet he proposed. But I'd like to do something he
> didn't cover (that I could find).
>
> I'd like to simply change the size of the text in the "text"
> style (the cell type found in the little box at upper left
> in a notebook). I can reformat the text cell by cell but I'd
> like it to just use a proper text size to start with from
> default.nb. I've given up trying to do this in Options
> Inspector. I've looked thru it forever and can't find any
> way to change text size. And if I did, would that change
> what's in the default.nb stylesheet?
>
> So I did Format/ Edit Stylesheet, selected the text style,
> to modify, then changed it to a new size and color via the
> Format Menu and then *Save As* default.nb.  Well, that
> didn't work -- Mathematica wouldn't even run on restart. I had to
> restore default.nb from my backup copy. Even though the Edit
> Stylesheet window says it is using inherited base
> definitions from default.nb, the file it makes is tiny and
> apparently leaves out items needed for Mathematica to run.
>
> So I'm missing the big picture -- can someone please tell me
> how to modify default.nb -- or make Mathematica use a different
> stylesheet on startup? Thanks.

Hi  Jerry,

You should give the altered notebook a new name, eg. jerrystyle.nb
and place it somewhere in
$UserBaseDirectory/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Stylesheets.
Your style will now appear in the Format/Stylesheet selection.

In the options inspector search for DefaultStyleDefinitions and set
them to the full path to your new stylesheet to make it the default.

Gruss Peter
--
Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de