Re: The FinancialData Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87073] Re: The FinancialData Function
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:03:07 -0500 (EST)

I've never heard of this function, but have one immediate strong
reaction/question:

   Is there -- or will there soon be -- a fully open, officially
   standardized, fully and openly specified, widely and near universally
   accepted, stable, long-term, NON-proprietary set of **formats**
   for the data and information that is to be transmitted back
   and forth between data providers and data users in this
   system?

[Something akin to the more or less open, universal and stable graphics
standards that have emerged over time.]

Lacking that, I wouldn't personally go near this kind of financial data
distribution system and related tools like FinancialData for building
anything that was of any real and continuing importance to me.

Think of mapping data, GPS and topographic data, or satellite imagery
and related software tools as an analogous system.  I play with some of
this data, plan journeys using MapQuest, hiking trips using Google Earth
(an incredible tool), etc -- but if someone suddenly decided to change
all the standards for this data, I could still use all my old stored
data and tools -- or just do without.  (There would of course be many
important commercial enterprises that would be much more seriously
impacted.)

But then suppose people get important, continuing personal or business
activities deeply involved in an information system that uses tools like
FinancialData; the data providers and Wolfram somehow get cross-wise
commercially; and the data providers threaten to change their formats
just enough to screw Wolfram (and all FinancialData users).

Or, suppose the data providers decide to throw digital rights management
complexities all over their data, as is the case now with music, films,
video -- and the deep pockets financial data providers manage to bribe
Congress to require that all computer tools like FinancialData contain
provisions to enforce these DRM complexities.

This may all come across as paranoid fears, and maybe it is -- but look
what has actually happened in other areas of widely distributed
electronic information distribution . . .