Re: Wolfram Workbench user experiences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88407] Re: Wolfram Workbench user experiences
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 06:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for everyone's response - and maybe there will be more to come.

My general feeling is that I would be sorry to see various features
randomly scattered between two vastly different interfaces. Thus I don't
really want to have to use WB to get full debugging, but FE to get
characters such as \[Breve] to display correctly. Use WB to set up
documentation, but FE to view the result, etc.

Having two interfaces seems to make it much harder to describe how to
perform a task (or indeed to teach Mathematica) and generally seems to
lead to a loss of focus.

 From the responses so far, it would seem that WB mainly offers enhanced
debugging and profiling, and one has to ask whether these features would
not be better pulled into the main product.

Furthermore, editing a .m file in Mathematica seems to be a much more
satisfying experience than using WB, because Mathematica can save and
restore heading and text cells as comments, so that you get most of the
richness of a notebook with all the advantages of a text file. (I would
recommend anyone who maintains package files to check out this feature)
I would like to see this concept enhanced further - say to include colour.

Much of my work involves J/Link accessing compiled Java code. In a way
WB might have been ideal for this type of project, but because I was not
starting from scratch, I already had a structure to assemble this code,
and figuring out how to use WB to perform the equivalent operation
seemed formidably hard.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk