Re: Calculations with Interpolating Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88526] Re: Calculations with Interpolating Functions
  • From: oshaughn <oshaughn at northwestern.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:09:42 -0400 (EDT)

On May 6, 6:44 am, Jo=E3o Paulo Casquilho <j... at fct.unl.pt> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I obtain an Interpolating function as a solution of a differential equation
> with the command NDSolve, lets call it =93solution=94, which gives x(t). Next I
Your solution is of form
   solution =    {x->InterpolatingFunction[...]}
The expression 'Integrate' performs a *symbolic, exact* integral,
which can be done on interpolating functions since their form is
known.  It cannot be done in general.
So try this:
   xSol[t_] := (x[t]/.solution)
   NIntegrate[ Sin[xSol[t]], {t,0, tmax}];