Re: Region for ListPlot3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88727] Re: [mg88698] Region for ListPlot3D
  • From: "W_Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 06:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Hugh,
I can't see how ListPlot3D isn't doing what you wish--sorry if I am
missing something obvious.

viz:

ppf = Flatten[pp, 1]
gc = GraphicsComplex[ppf, Table[Sphere[i, 5], {i, Length[ppf]}]];
g1 = Graphics3D[{Orange, gc}]
g2 = ListPlot3D[ppf]
Show[g2, g1]
g3 = ListPlot3D[Flatten[pp, 1], InterpolationOrder -> 3]
Show[g3, g1]

WCC

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Hugh Goyder
<h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk> wrote:
> Below I give a set of 3D points and attempt to plot them as a surface
>  using ListPlot3D. I also plot the points directly using Graphics3D.
>  The data fill a region that is approximately a trapezium except that
>  one side is concave. ListPlot3D extrapolates the concave side out to
>  the convex hull of the x -y coordinates thus giving a false impression
>  of the surface. How can I make the plotting region conform to the data
>  and exclude the extrapolation?

>  pp = {{{0, 0, 0}, {5, 0, 0},
>          {10, 0, 0}, {14, 0, 0},
: