Re: Re: HoldForm, TraditionalForm Bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88761] Re: [mg88743] Re: HoldForm, TraditionalForm Bug?
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 05:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

I'm probably jumping into this thread a bit late, but isn't this the
sort of thing that Interpretation was designed to handle?  The
following generates an object which displays in the form you want but
which is interpreted as the standard symbolic expression.

Interpretation[
  Style[HoldForm[x y - x^3 - 1], SingleLetterItalics -> True,
   FontFamily -> "Times"], x y - x^3 - 1]

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method