Re: overloading times operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88829] Re: overloading times operator
  • From: Michael Weyrauch <michael.weyrauch at gmx.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 23:29:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

    I really recommend to use NonCommutativeMultiply[] for a non-
commutative product and give it the desired properties (or any other
operator without built-in properties). Overloading Times[]
is potentially breaking Mathematica internals, which is probably the
reason for your strange results.

But I cannot further comment on your problem until you give a precise
definition of your non-commutative product. (In any case, if you use
NonCommutativeMultiply for your produvt, you also must define
NonCommutativeExpand separately.)

Michael Weyrauch