Re: Re: Multiple threads using Mathlink

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your answer. It assured me that I understand the architecture
correctly.

However, my problem remains unresolved. I've done some experiments to track
down the issue. Apparently, the problem is related to the Mathlink.close()
method (I'm using Java). Here are the results:

1/ when I reuse the same Mathlink object to perform all computations, without
closing it, everything works fine

2/ when I create a separate object in every webservice invocation, but don't
use the close() method, it also works. In this case, I kill the kernel after
it completes the computations (with Unix "killall" command). I'm forced to do
this, because otherwise the webservice thread doesn't end (it's waiting for
the child - Mathlink - process to complete)

3/ when I create a separate object in every webservice invocation and invoke
the close() method, the application server crashes mysteriously afterwards
(sometimes during a webservice invocation which doesn't use Mathlink at all).

In cases 2/ and 3/, I use "synchronize" clauses to protect pieces of code
which open and close the link. This is probably not needed, as the java
Mathlink wrapper already does it (using, for instance, the environmentLock
object in NativeLink.java).

The schema of my Mathlink invocations is as follows:

synchronized(lock) {
	ml = MathLinkFactory.createKernelLink(MLINK_PARAMS);
	ml.connect();
	ml.discardAnswer();
}

ml.evaluate("<< " + scriptFile);
ml.discardAnswer();

ml.evaluate(expression);
ml.waitForAnswer();

ml.getXYZ(); // for instance: getDouble()

synchronized(lock) {
            ml.close();
}

I'm still not sure if the issue lies in Mathlink, my usage of it, or the
webservice framework I'm using (Tomcat & Axis2).

Regards,
Pawel Banasik